Thursday, June 14, 2012

crocheting the American flag

American Flag crochet Flag day


Last year, on July 3rd, I decided I would crochet a flag to celebrate our nation's independence. I looked through my stash and realized that the red, white and blue yarn I had would be enough for a flag the size of an index card. Because of that - and the fact that I didn't have much time - I wisely decided to not start this new project but to work on one of the zillions of projects that I had abandoned in the middle of production.

This year I did a bit more pre-planning. I got some yarn last weekend and went to work Monday night. My goal was to have one done by Flag Day and two by the 4th of July. Well today is Flag Day and I'm not done so I amended my goal to finish just the crochet parts. Goal completed. Not bad for less than three days of work, but my wrists are mad at me.

Now all I need to do is sew it together between the blue part and the top stripes and sew in the stars. I thought about crocheting each star one by one and then sew them on, but that would have been a lot of work. I want both flags to be finished on both sides... 200 stars... no way.

crochet American Flag


I'm making these flags not only to be festive, but because I like the idea of having them around for awhile. I'd like to put them up every year and then pass them down to the next generation of my family.

crochet American Flag


I'll make updates when this flag is done and then again after they're both finished. I didn't use a pattern so I'll write it out and post it with one of the updates. And in case you were interested, I used a 5.5mm hook and Red Heart Super Saver yarn in soft navy, soft white and burgundy. The whole thing is done in single crochet.

Happy Flag Day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Did you finish it? Would livevto see pictures. I am working on one and wondering if I should put stars 🌟 on both sides.

    ReplyDelete